Home

Monday, January 4, 2010

The birth of my hometown Magallanes, Sorsogon

Excerpt from Luis Camara Dery’s book From Ibalon to Sorsogon, published 1991

The town of Magallanes was created in a manner similar to that of Pilar [backed by an espanol-europeo who owns astilleros or shipyards]. The abandoned villages of Parina (formerly the site of the ancient village of Yguey) and Caditaan, located at the mouth of Sorsogon Gulf just opposite Bagatao Island, were also rapidly resettled due to the clearing of the Burias Pass. However, these two villages gained prominence when the espanol-europeo, Don Manuel de Castro, established his astillero there. In fact, Parina and Caditaan owed their growth to Don Manuel de Castro.

 My hometown -Magallanes, Sorsogon

Don Manuel de Castro left Spain in 1819 and for three years, roamed the oceans as a sailor. Tired of sailing, he settled in Sorsogon in 1822 where he became an abaca trader and cultivator. Through his efforts and foresight, he succeeded in making the abaca trade in Sorsogon profitable. The price of abaca doubled in the province from its low price of one and a half real per chinanta to about three reales, thus benefitting the inhabitants of Sorsogon. He became a very successful abaca trader such that by 1835 he was able to build the brigantine Samuel which became his primary means in exporting abaca from Sorsogon to Manila. Abaca, thus, made Don Manuel prosperous and well-known in the towns along the gulf of Sorsogon.

Because of his high socio-economic stature, the colonial government of Albay appointed Don Manuel as chief inspector of Wine and Liquors (fiel principal de Vinos y Licores) for the Partido de Sorsogon from 1838 to 1842. Seeing the growing role of coastal vessels in Kabikolan’s economic development, he left colonial service and transferred his residence to Parina in April 1843 where he established his own astillero. Before this, Parina was almost deserted and was largely inhabited by some fishermen’s huts. To secure his shipyard, he got official permission to build a baluarte in 1847 at the tip of Bagatao Island called Punta, which faces Burias Pass, thereby warding off any possible surprise raid against his shipyard. Assured of adequate protection and steady employment, people from nearby towns gravitated to Parina and Caditaan.



The increased population in the two villages led to the need for a church and convent which Don Manuel voluntarily agreed to construct. In this endeavor, he personally wrote the bishop of Nueva Caceres asking for the assignment of a permanent priest to service the religious needs of the inhabitants of the two villages. To secure such request, Don Manuel personally guaranteed to shoulder the upkeep of the priest that shall be assigned to the two villages.

Besides the abovementioned worthy undertakings. Don Manuel also led the villages’ inhabitants in clearing the nearby forests, thereby enabling his workers and their families to supplement their income from the shipyard. For his part, he established his own hacienda in 1850 in the said cleared lands where he planted and cultivated abaca, coffee, cacao, sugar cane, palay, and livestock spending no less than 8,000 pesos in his pioneering agricultural venture.

 Gibalon --the site where the first catholic mass in Luzon was celebrated

By 1857 Parina and Caditaan had grown into five cabeceras and together had 431 tributes. Don Manuel’s astillero became a major place of anchorage for major ships at that time. It also became a well-known shipyard such that big merchants and even the colonial government had contracted its services. Throughout its existence, Don Manuel’s shipyard had built the barca Preciosa, the goletas Estrella, Maria, San Joaquin, Sta. Maria de los Angeles, and La Asuncion; the fragatas Bella, Gallega, and La Encarnacion; the brigantines Campeador, Brillante, San Benito, Daois y Velarde, San Lorenzo Pelayo, and San Mauricio; besides numerous lorchas and faluas.

On December 1856 the teniente actual of Parina, Don Mariano Bon, together with the inhabitants of Parina and Caditaan, petitioned the colonial authorities for their formation as a town separate from Casiguran. The colonial authorities in Manila disapproved their petition for lack of required minimum number of tribute-payers. However, Don Manuel de Castro intervened on behalf of the petitioners and personally wrote the governor-general on 11 January 1858, explaining the benefits that would accrue to Parina and Caditaan if they became a new town. Presumably due to his intercession, Governor-General Norzagaray issued a decree on 30 April 1859 approving the petition of Parina and Caditaan as a new town to be called “Magallanes” in honor of Fernando de Magallanes. The twelve electores of the new town honored Don Manuel de Castro by electing him the town’s first gobernadorcillo in recognition of his invaluable contributions to the inhabitants of Magallanes.



The next step which finalized Magallanes’ existence as an independent town was made on 11 December 1863 when the colonial authorities in Manila approved the inhabitants’ request to make the town an independent parish. The approval was again secured when Don Manuel committed himself to shoulder and direct the construction of the town’s church, convent, and casa tribunal.

27 comments:

  1. Hi Rossi,

    I read your blog with amusement. I am from Magallanes, Sorsogon, and my great-grandfather is Don Manuel de Castro.

    I have been tracing my genealogy for a long time. And, it is interesting that I found your blog.

    I want to establish contact with you. I live in the US and you can email me at israelmella@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im sorry sir, i have read your comment only now, roughly one month since you posted this comment. nice that you found my blog. i thought nobody is reading my entries. anyway, sir thanks for providing your email add. will communicate with you through email. god bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. I enjoyed reading it as Don Manuel was also one of my ancestors - you provided several details which I did not have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this write up. It is very informative. My grandmother is Dona Olympia de Castro vda de Mella and her grandfather is Don Manuel de Castro. It is nice to know one's roots and it is nice to know their accomplishments, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I really want to see in Sorsogon is the Butanding and the Bulusan park. But this part of Sorsogon is nice!http://www.cdokay.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice One Ate Rosilyn..:D

    Aian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very few de Castros' still own land in Sorsogon. I come from the de Castro's that own land near Magallanes --- part of a hacienda called 'Pili'. I enjoyed your article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eisha penn de castro litaMarch 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

    HI I'am Eisha penn de castro lita, my grandfather is ricardo bellen de castro, the son of don leon de castro the son of don manuel de castro. we really liked the blog. according to my grand father(ricardo bellen de castro) his father (don leon de castro)became the mayor of magallanes , sorsogon as well as his father(don manuel de castro).
    I would like to hear more stories about my ancestors too. please post some pictures. thank you and god bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Roger (Rogelio) de Castro Labrador. My mother is Car.Martina de Castro, daughter of Benito de Castro, son of Don Florencio de Castro, son of Don Manuel de Castro of Magallanes, Sorsogon and son of Juan de Castro and Florencia Gomez de Santa Maria de Los Angeles of La Coruna, Galicia, Spain. I now live in Florida, USA.

      Delete
    2. Eisha, I am a 5th generation de Castro according to the compiled 2000 de Castro family tree. I don't know how accurate it is. It was a product of the efforts of several descendants o f Don Manuel Gomez de Castro. I have a copy of this de Castro Family tree. It was not updated since. I have no idea if the contributor(s) are still alive. This was 14 years ago.. The work ended in part in the 10th generation. Do you have any idea to what generation you belong? I'll review my copy and find your name. God bless.

      Delete
    3. I was reading this and got very interested. I have a batch mate in high school at universidad de sta isabep. Her name is September Mella Ragrario her mother is a pianist/ teacher at Sta. Isabel in Naga City Camarines Sur. Her mom moved back.to Bacalon Magallanes Sorsogon.in her older years. Her name is Pilar De Castro Mella Ragrario very castillan lady. I just read when I came across a post that her son now is the Mayor of Magallanes. His name is Tito. App the Mella Ragrario children I guess they are 7 or 8 went to study at the Ateneo de Naga University and Colegio de Sta Isabel now Univetsidad de Sta Isabel. They are prominent couple married a dashing man Johnny Ragrario. She became my basic piano teacher. It's really interesting to come across this blog.

      Delete
    4. Hi i hope you still get to see this since it's been so long, but if by any chance you do, would it be possible for you to share the family tree instead? Thank you so much! This would mean a lot for me and my family!

      Delete
  10. Indeed, de castro still owned a property in pili, magallanes, my father left the documents with us. my father is Manuel Gonzales de Castro. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The descendants of Don Florencio Pareja de Castro, son of Don Manuel de Castro, son of Juan de Castro and Florencia Gomez de Santa Maria de Los Angeles of La Coruna, Galicia, Spain still own some properties in Guinlajon, Sorsogon. My mother is Carmen Martina de Castro daughter of Benito de Castro son of Don Florencio.

      Delete
    2. If I'm not mistaken your grandfather must be Jose Verdote de Castro, 1st cousin of my grandfather. Your great grandfather must be Santiago de Castro y Marcial, brother of my great grandfather Florencio de Castro y Marcial.

      Delete
    3. Dear All, may I know if anyone is keeping a photo of Don Manuel de Castro and family?
      Thanks.

      Delete
    4. The best bet are the de Castros in Magallanes, Sorsogon. I never heard that Don Manuel and family had a family picture with his 12 children. I have a copy of the de Castro family tree, how accurate, I don't know.

      Delete
    5. I'm Rodolfo Jintalan De Castro,my Mother is Salvacion Jintalan De Castro and my father is Melquiades Lacsa De Castro son of Benito Lacsa De Castro the son of Don Florencio son of Don Manuel De Castro of Magallanes Sorsogon and son of Juan De Castro and Florencia De Santa Maria Delos Angeles of LA Corona Galicia Spain.

      Delete
    6. If the picture of Don Manuel and family with his 12 children are available to request, please inform a relative at: chonacruz789@gmail.com

      Delete
  11. I'm Rodolfo Jintalan De Castro, my Mother is Salvacion Jintalan De Castro and My father is Melquiadez Lacsa De Castro Son of Benito Lacsa De Castro the son of Don Florencio De Castro, son of Don Manuel de Castro of Magallanes Sorsogon and son of Juan De Castro and Florencia Due Santa Maria Delos Angeles of LA Coruna, in Galicia Spain

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great information and its very nice to follow our roots. Did you guys know that the great Andres Bonifacio y de Castro is also our relative? My name is Jose Ronald de Castro and I am also a great-grandson of Don Manuel de Castro. My grandfather is Atty.Tucidides de Castro (married to my lola Maria de Castro y Rosales) who is the son of Don Ildefonso de Castro Sr. (married to great lola DnaTeresita de Castro y Casas) and son of Don Manuel also from Magallanes and Caditaan Sorsogon. Up to this time we still own hundreds of hectares of land in Bulan, Juban, Magallanes and other parts of Sorsogon. I would like to keep in touch with anyone who can give me connections on how we can transfer all the titles. Kindly e-mail me at bioterra3@gmail.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I am granddaughter to Elmer de Castro Mella who was son to Olympia de Castro. I believe he was the youngest of her children. I would love to see a family tree or any information that anyone may have. Please email me at marian_101@hotmail.com and would love to piece together the tree and lineage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thank you so much for this blog entry. So informative.

    I was googling my great grandfather's name (Atty. Tucidides De Castro) and came across this. I read the comments and I was wondering if someone have a De Castro family tree. If ever you have one, please email me at cecilleodecastro@gmail.com

    Salamat. God bless us all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buenos Dias and hello, I'm Maria Chona de Castro (Cruz Baez), daughter of Pura de Castro (Cruz), daughter of Don Telesforo de Castro and grandson of Don Manuel de Castro. I'm missing the name of the father and mother of Telesforo de Castro as well as his brothers and sisters. I also welcome all family tree connections and stories of Magallanes, Sorsogon...a beginning of our lives in the Philippines. I'm starting to post in Geni and am also available via email at: chonacruz789@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi my name is Alvin de Castro, Son on Angel de Castro Jr, Son of Angel de Castro, son of Don Leon de Castro…my de Castro family is strong in Melbourne, Australia, but I live in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I’m Meriele De Castro Ortiz Arindaeng. My grandmother is the daughter of Jose Sr. (son of Leon de Castro).

    ReplyDelete